The Hermitage, built on a rocky spur, dominates the valley of the Ceserana stream from above. It was already mentioned a hermitage dedicated to Saints Jacopo and Cristoforo in 1168.
In 1716 the current title of S. Maria is added; once joined to the parish of Sillico, Capraia became part of the new Diocese of Massa in 1822 and was reinstated in the Diocese of Lucca only in 1992.
The current church was rebuilt in 1871 on a design by Count G. Carli. It has recently been renovated thanks to the work of volunteers and houses a “Madonna and Child” by Pietro da Talada.