The Lake of Vagli, with its 34 million cubic meters of water, is the largest hydroelectric basin in Tuscany. The dam that blocks the course of the Edron stream is 92 meters high and its walkway is accessible to the public. Its waters hide an entire village and only when the lake is emptied, the last time it was in 1994, the ghost town of Fabbriche di Careggine comes back to live for an entire summer. From the dam to the village of Vagli di Sotto, the road runs along the lake for over 4 km, with beautiful panoramic views of the village and the surrounding mountains.
A short walk goes along the promontory on which the old village is perched and arrives to the Romanesque church of San Regolo. The 122 m long pedestrian walkway, designed in 1953 by engineer Riccardo Morandi, connects Vagli di Sotto with the locality Vaiano, the only bathing area on the lake and the arrival point of the Flight of the Angel, a zip line of over one km. Fishing lovers will find an specific regulation area with equipped points and picnic areas. The suspended rope bridge, dedicated to the Marò of the San Marco Battalion, connects the two shores of the lake, offering an unusual point of view on the village of Vagli Sotto.