The village, the church and the fortress of Ceserana rise on the left bank of the Serchio river, in the southern part of the ancient Este province of Garfagnana. The Church of Sant’Andrea is mentioned in a papal bull of 1168, and although it has been remodelled it retains its Romanesque characters with an apse in which carved capitals and narrow lancet windows are inserted. The church is located inside the defensive structure, and the bell tower was probably rebuilt on the ruins of a medieval tower. The surrounding area, subjected to the Este found mostly in Lucca territory, it has always needed an efficient defence system, especially to counter the attacks from the overlying village of Lupinaia. The remodelling of the ancient fortress dates back to the 2nd half of the 15th century, in order to protect the narrow, high original walls from the firepower of the artillery of the time. It was also occupied by bandits of the Moro of Sillico. In the 17th century it was restored, providing it with semi-circular towers that can still be seen today. In 1983 the Municipality of Fosciandora purchased it from the last descendants who owned it in the 18th century, bringing it back to its original size and structure.
The hill of Ceserana and the white Church of Sant’Andrea can be seen from the bottom of the valley and invite you to go up for a short visit. The building, to the right of the church, was originally intended as a priest’s residence. It later became the home of the castellan until, in 1983, the descendants of the last commander, decided to sell the fort to the Municipality of Fosciandora. One can stroll around the walkway of the guardhouse, the semi-circular towers, the well with the water tank and the slits, especially facing Lupinaia, an ancient rival of Lucca. To enjoy the apse of Sant’Andrea, with its passageways and finely carved Romanesque capitals.